Outlook offline address book not updating exchange 2016
Some objects has been there for a month and not updated.The error staff are getting Is: Task ' Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F): ' The operation failed.When trying to perform a manual download (Send and Receive - Download Address Book), it wasn’t in the list.Also when using the “Test EMail Auto Configuration..” (by holding CTRL and right click on Outlook System Tray icon) to examine the Auto Discover information, there was no OAB URL (OABUrl in XML) being sent to the clients.I spent 3 hours trying to find out why this was happening (I assumed it was configuration and/or IIS authentication related).
This flag when set to true, allows it to be distributed (Note/Fun Fact: There’s a separate and different flag for older Exchange versions where the OAB is inside of the Public Folder Store).
Ah, if someone needs it, the command to change was "Get-Offline Address Book -Identity "Your OAB" | Set-Offline Address Book -Virtual Directories "UPDATE:https://microsoft.com/dgoldman/2008/10/01/understanding-why-error-code-0x8004010f-is-thrown-when-trying-to-download-an-oab/When I had this exact same issue, I followed the steps in the blog post above, and one of them worked.
This document seeks to address and clarify the small misunderstanding surrounding the GAL (Global Address List) and the OAB (Offline Address Book).
I've tried recreating the global address book file in app data but this is affecting multiple staff.
Before you say these changes need to take 24 hours they aren't applying after this time.